WooCommerce sites aren’t like regular WordPress websites and therefore, their backup needs are very different. To backup your WooCommerce site correctly, you need to know a few factors that are at play:
- Files and Database – WordPress is designed for anyone to create a website without knowing the technical inner workings. But it’s important to know that your WordPress site is made up of files and databases. Your files contain site information and configurations, while your database contains posts, pages, users, comments, and the content of your site. You need to back up both elements.
- WooCommerce Database Table – Your WordPress database has 11 tables by default. When you use the WooCommerce plugin to power your eCommerce store, it creates its own separate table. Many backup solutions are designed to backup the default WordPress tables and miss the WooCommerce table.
- Real-time Data – WooCommerce websites have frequent data changes. Every time a customer signs up, adds items to their cart, or purchases something, new data is generated. Every piece of data is critical to the functioning and success of your online store. Therefore, you need real-time backups that copy every change made to your website instantly.
- Working Backups – You need a backup solution that is guaranteed to work when you need to restore your website. If your backup fails to restore your site to normal then it’s of no use.
- High Data Volumes – WooCommerce sites tend to have large amounts of data. You need a solution that can backup and store large volumes of data at high speeds.
- Downtime – Some backup solutions take hours or days to restore your site. You cannot afford to have any downtime on your site. In case things go wrong, you need a backup solution that minimizes downtime and restores your site in under a few minutes.
Backing up your WooCommerce database begins by accessing the phpMyAdmin.
- Log into phpMyAdmin.
- Click the database you are working with in the left menu.
- Click Export tab from the top navigation menu.
- Under the Export heading, ensure that all of your tables are selected and that the SQL option is selected.
- Then click on the GO button.
You will be prompted to either open or save the file. Please select the option to save the file .This backup file is usually a .sql file.
Swift Playgrounds app
You can learn to code with Apple’s Swift Playgrounds Learn to Code interactive tutorials, which will teach you the basics of Swift programming. My 8-year-old son is working through this now, so it’s accessible to almost any age. This one’s free, but you’ll need an iPad to do it.
Hacking with Swift
These online tutorials are a great way to learn the basics of Swift and start building your first few projects with step-by-step instructions. Paul Hudson, the author, writes in a way that’s easy to understand, especially if you’re new to programming. These tutorials are designed to be used on a Mac with Xcode. Highly recommended – and they’re free!
Start Developing iOS Apps (Swift) by Apple
This online tutorial from Apple is a great way to get into iOS once you’ve learned a little Swift (maybe from the Swift Playgrounds app). It’ll teach you the fundamentals of iOS — the things you’ll use on almost any app you build. It’s free and just requires a Mac with Xcode.
Learn to Code videos
In addition to Swift Playgrounds and the online tutorial, Apple also has on iTunes U that are short and simple (1-2 minutes each) and offer activities and challenges. And they’re free to watch on your iPhone or iPad.
Developing iOS 11 Apps with Swift by Stanford
Stanford’s Developing iOS 11 Apps with Swift, is a very popular online course. It’s highly recommended by lots and lots of people (just read the reviews for their iOS 10 course), and in my opinion the lectures are excellent. Bonus: it’s free.
Swift Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
If you’re looking for a book, Swift Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide is excellent. You can do this one even if you don’t have development experience, though I’d probably recommend starting simpler by running through Learn to Code with Swift Playgrounds first to get the basics before diving in to this. But either way, this is a great book and a great deal for around $30.
iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
In addition to their Swift book, The Big Nerd Ranch has also written the best book for learning iOS development, called iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide. If you’re an experienced developer, you can probably start learning iOS with this book. If not, you may want to start with the Big Nerd Ranch’s Swift Programming book. iOS Programming is also excellent and costs around $30.
iOS Essentials with Swift
I realize this is starting to sound like an advertisement for The Big Nerd Ranch, but they’re not paying me anything to do this; they just write the best books and teach the best workshops. You can go to The Big Nerd Ranch for an immersive 7-day workshop to learn iOS Essentials with Swift. It’s relatively expensive compared to the other options here at $5200, but I’ve heard from multiple developers that it’s totally worth it. If you’re a developer and just want to get into iOS and Swift, this is a great choice. Highly recommended.
Other options to consider
The iOS Development in Swift course from Plymouth University offers free video lectures similar to the ones from Stanford. The reviews are good for this one, too; I just don’t have any personal experience with it. If Stanford isn’t for you, this one might be.